Farm to School BC Start-Up Grants
Amount: Up to $3,000
Accepting applications in October 2023.
Start-Up Grants are the largest grant offered by Farm to School BC and are ideally suited for school communities with a clear vision for their farm to school project and who have a team of supportive stakeholders in place.
Start-Up Grants can be used in a variety of school food activities including In the Garden, On the Land, In the Classroom, and In the Kitchen. This may include building garden beds, foraging local food, growing indigenous plant gardens, small-scale farms, indoor growing spaces, and much more. For more farm to school program ideas, click here.
You may apply for a maximum of $3,000 to launch your Farm to School BC project. The amount granted will be dependent on the scope of the proposed program. A total of 30 grants will be distributed this year.
- Must be a K-12 school located in British Columbia.
- Cannot have previously received a Farm to School BC Start-Up grant. If you are unsure if your school previously received a Farm to School BC grant, please contact the Grants Coordinator at email@example.com
- Applicants located in a Farm to School BC Regional Hub are encouraged to connect with their Regional Community Animator to discuss their project before applying.
- Priority will be given to rural, remote and First Nations Schools.
- Schools with existing programs that are well resourced and supported are encouraged to apply for a Farm to School BC Scale-Up Grant. If you are unsure, please contact the Grants Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Previous or current Farm to School BC Start-Up grant recipient.
- Previous or current recipient of a Farm to Cafeteria Canada’s Salad Bar Grant.
- November 2023 (official date TBD)
Before proceeding further, please ensure you have the following files:
- Start-Up Grant Application Form (for reference). Questions listed in this application form will be asked during the online application. We recommend that you review or complete these questions before starting the online application.
- Program Budget Form for Grant (required). You will be required to upload a completed version of this budget form for your project during the online application.
To help you with pricing estimates and budgeting for your project, please refer to our Farm to School BC Budget Calculator.
For questions, please contact email@example.com
About Farm to School BC
Farm to School BC is a program that brings local and sustainable food into schools across British Columbia and provides students with hands-on learning opportunities that develop food literacy, all while strengthening the local food system and enhancing school and community connectedness.
Farm to school activities differ by school, but always include the following three elements:
- Sustainable, Local Food
- Hands-on Learning
- School & Community Connectedness
Farm to School BC is a program of the Public Health Association of BC and is supported by the Province of British Columbia.
Farm to School BC is organized into eight Regional Hubs, each coordinated by a local Community Animator, advised by an Advisory Committee, and supported by a network of stakeholders.