Farm to School BC Start-Up Grants
Amount: Up to $3,000
Deadline: Sunday, January 10, 2021, at 11:59 pm PST
Thank you for your interest in applying for the Farm to School BC Start-Up Grant 2020/21! Please read over the eligibility and exclusion criteria carefully before proceeding further.
Farm to School BC Start-Up Grants 2020/21 – Growing your vision!
Start-up grants are the largest grant we offer and are designed for projects of a wider scope – ideally suited for schools with a strong team of stakeholders in place, with clear ideas and goals for your project.
Start-up grants have been historically utilized for gardening projects, however, we encourage our applicants to think outside of the box! In recent years we have seen an interest in foraged foods, indigenous plant gardens, small scale farms (for some ideas, click here), as well as indoor growing spaces. You may apply for up to a maximum of $3,000 in funding to launch your program. Please note the amount granted will be dependent on the scope of the program and planned activities. When determining the amount of funding requested, please take this into consideration
About Farm to School BC
Farm to School BC is a diverse and expanding provincial network that promotes, supports, and links Farm to School activities and programs across the province. From school gardens and incorporating more local and traditional foods at lunch, to farm field trips and more, Farm to School BC activities help students learn about their local food system, teach important life skills, and provide the opportunity for healthy habits to take root. Farm to School BC also benefits local farmers and suppliers.
Central to the Farm to School BC provincial network is the creation of Farm to School Regional Hubs dedicated to working with regional partners on community-specific projects. Farm to School Regional Hubs have been developed in regional centers throughout the province that have a strong local food action plan and a variety of school food activities underway.
- Must be a K- 12 school located in the Province of B.C.
- Cannot have previously received a Farm to School BC Start-Up grant. If you are not sure if your school received a Farm to School BC grant, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schools within Farm to School BC Regional Hubs are encouraged to discuss with their Community Animator before applying. To contact your regional Farm to School Community Animator, click here.
- Schools from Rural/Remote and First Nations communities are encouraged to apply.
- Schools with high existing well-established resources or Farm to School activities and significant infrastructure investments are encouraged to apply to scale-up grants instead.
- Previous or current Farm to School BC Start-up grant recipient.
- Previous or current recipient of Farm to Cafeteria Canada’s Salad Bar Grant.
- Sunday, January 10, 2021, at 11:59 pm PST
Before proceeding further, please ensure you have the following files:
- Start-Up Grant Application Form (for reference). Questions listed in this application form will be asked during the online application. We recommend that you review or complete these questions before starting the online application.
- Program Budget Form for Grant (required). You will be required to upload a completed version of this budget form for your project during the online application.
To help you with pricing estimates and budgeting for your project, please refer to our Farm to School BC Budget Calculator.