Sowing Seeds in Surrey
Are you a K-12 student, teacher or school community member in Surrey, BC and would love to grow food at your school? If so, please join us in celebrating the beauty of the local growing season! Schools within Surrey School District 36 are eligible to participate!
Send us a piece of art or photo and we will send you seeds for your school!
Deadline to participate: May 31, 2021
As the temperatures warm and the days get longer, Farm to School BC wants to invite you and your school community to reflect on the importance of our local food systems for the health of the people and the planet. the art and photos submitted will be showcased through our social media and website.
How to participate:
- Pick up your pens, pencils, brushes, paints or a camera to take a photo, and get inspired by food plants, native plants, and friendly pollinator plants growing in your backyard, school garden, school grounds or close-by community gardens or farms. Alternatively, submit a photo of your school garden in use or other hands-on food related activity from the past year.
- In return, you will receive seed bundles for your school or community garden. The seed bundle may include a mixture of leafy greens (lettuce, spinach, mustard) and other vegetables (beans, carrots).
- All schools that participate in this activity will also be eligible to receive the Pollinator Award at the Spring Celebration!
- Schools within Surrey School District 36 are eligible to participate.
- There are a limited number of seeds available and will be distributed on a first come first served basis.
- We will receive submissions until May 31, 2021, or until there are no more seeds available.
- Once we receive your submission, we will send the seeds to the mail address provided or arrange a drop-off.
- Your art or photo, name, and school grade will be shared on our social media and website, as well as at the Spring Celebration.
- Your submission will also make you eligible to receive the Pollinator Award at the Spring Celebration!
- Photo consent forms are required for those whose faces are in the photo. Download the photo consent form here.
Thank you West Coast Seeds and Hives for Humanity for supporting this initiative!